Monday, March 26, 2007

Well it wasn't a fairytale ending

Last night I eventually finished 49th out of 2700+ runners. A good finish in comparison to more regular placings but so dissappointing at the same time.

When i signed off last night I was 30 something in position with 80+remaining and just slightly above average chips. Players gradually dropped out and i continued to raise anything decent in position and pick up blinds and antes but didnt really get involved with anyone to build my chips. This resulted in my being below average chips coming up my exit hand.

At this point i am looking to take a gamble and get myself in position to win. The money in this thing was so top heavy that to make anything significant to me i'd have to make the final table. I think even 11-15 paid only $100-200.

Anyway a few hands before my last I'm dealt QQ in very middle position. There is a small raise in first (suspicious) and is folded to me. I put my curser on my "bet amount" area (dont know what it is called) Im going for a smallishh raise here as i want action. Anyway the nightmare happens - never happened before - my mouse sticks - i cant select the amount or scroll the slider bar - nothing - it is then the screen changes - where the 60 second timer pops up - only i usedd my time earlier and I have no time left- cue super slow motion - F f f f f o o o o o l l l l l l d d d d d - Noooooooooooo. All fold round to the initial raiser and he takes it. I cannot believe it. I never use all my time up. I am quite a fast acting player (too fast i think, something i'm working on) but i'd had 2 big decisions to make by the time this point arose. Now i felt I had a chance to get back in cruely snatched from me. Of course it crossed my mind that the initial raiser could have had me beat but i would have played that hand strong and lived with the consequences. I just want to say that although i have never needed the time before, today i did. As the playing field was geting smaller i'd also expect to use it more. I was pretty angry afterwards. I cant imagine playing in todays sunday million for example ($1000 buy in) and the same thing happening. I'd be suicidal! I wonder if a good idea is for poker sites to replenish the time bank at each break? I know some people would abuse it, but they would be in the minority as online is so fast. Sometimes though you need extra time for whatever reason (usually legit think time) and to not have it there as an option when the money is getting serious just seems crazy.

This leads into the second horrible situation and my ultimate demise. Boo. I am in the BB with Q9 spades. There is a limper in first and it is all folded to me. Beautiful. Free flop with creative cards. The flop is nice too. It is K high with 2 low cards and gives me the 4 flush. I quickly consider my options given my lack of time bank. He has roughly the same chips as me so despite the "fear the early limper" warning which i so often heed - i moved all in - he unfortunately insta called. God damn it cruel fate. Slow play big hand in early pos.......what?? whats that??? ladies and gentlemen of the jury i ask you now to tell me what he had elected to call me with. Bear in mind there are 50 people left and SIX THOUSAND DOLLARS for first. I'll give you a second to put him on a hand....



.....



He. This guy. Who must have made some good plays to arrive that this point called with.......... A9 off suit! WHAT?! The ace was a spade so he could have been looking for runner runner flush or convinced i was on a draw called with ace high. Knowing he was 60/40 favourite. But here it is from where im standing. Even if i'm bluffing - he still has no hand. NONE! Even if he puts me on a draw... well at least i have a draw! What is he thinking? The other thing is he called instantly. He didn't look at my chips to see if he'd be out if he was wrong. He didn't do a count to assess what my requirements for a move like that might be. He just insta called. Perhaps it was a mis-click. If anyone ever reads this blog. tell me if you would make this play and why. I want to learn cos i just don't get it. So i was out. Fucking gutted actually. I was hitting cards, winning coin flips, felt like i was making good reads. It was one of those where everything you need to have happen to win was happening. Then this. Out. As im sat there with the table still open. No one mourning my all too sudden demise, someone else, a player, not a rail bird, types "nc". This, once again, is someone who is making supposedly good plays to arrive at this spot. He thinks it was a "nice call". I am quite a vocal person when it comes to busting out of tourneys. If i dont like the play i will often become abusive (something else i am trying to work on) but i simply said something like "I disagree. He called for all his chips with no pair and no draw. Ace high. Np gg and gl all" point was made no abuse and i made a gentlemanly exit. Mr "nc" said "it was a little crazy but a nice call". Perhaps he was right but for all his chips i just cant agree.

Just watched the film "Tsotsi". If you haven't seen it i strongly recommend it. Excellent performances and Im an actor - so i should know. Ha. I'm also watching the brilliant comedy The Green Wing. British surrealist comedy set in a hospital. Took me a while to warm to but now i love it. Also nearly finished Season 1 of the Sopranos. Excellent.

I am currently reading - ahem
-Up a Yum Bum Tree - Martin Pilcher (my good friend's father's second novel)
-Current issue of Inside Poker (you know you're tired when you spell "current" as "cueernt" and cant figure out how to make it better)
-Tillerman's poker blog - http://www.tillerman.net/ good read, nice use of funny, non poker related links/ vids etc (i'll talk blogs later)
- Ace on the River - Barry Greenstein
-Harrington 1
-Small stakes Hold Em - Ed Miller

Take it easy and good luck

No comments: