Sunday, April 08, 2007

Got an issue? Get a tissue

I have several issues when it comes to my improving as a poker player. A couple at the top of my thoughts are;

1) Impatience- this is fairly self explanatory but if i don't get cards, and watch others chips growing around me, i get itchy. I know in my rational self that the only thing i can do when i get like this is get lucky or bust. Unfortunately the latter is the most common result. I need to just stay cool. How often (when i am calm) i see someone lose a third of their stack then just move all in on the next hand and just laugh. I know its crazy to move pre flop in a flop based game. Relax relax relax is what i need to do.

when i achieve this calm, i must be careful not to become;

2) Placid - this sometimes happens when i am very relaxed. I think that i am in a good frame of mind to play poker because i am feeling very calm and rational; i don't expect that i will make any sudden, knee jerk, and ultimately, dumb moves. The problem being, that i can just dry up and not play a hand. If i do, i raise or call pre flop with decent hands, and should i miss, because i know I'm "calm" and I'm not wasting any chips, i don't push or defend "my babies" that are out there. If the good hands come and i hit some flops then this is a good style because it plays itself. BUT if they don't, then you can just drip chips. The result of this is that sooner or later you are forced to make a decision pre flop for all your chips. Not ideal at all.

This is where i need to perfect the mix strategy - a tight (calm) aggressive (the energy of impatience) strategy. Everyone has written about it but, man!, its hard to stay in the centre of that zone.

the third and final one for now is one I'll call;

3) Credit - Why?, oh why? when i pick up a hand and someone else is clearly interested in the pot do i find it so hard to give them the credit they deserve. For example - re raising pre flop, 6 handed with AQ and being re raised back and me just calling then flopping top pr on a low flop and getting all the money in - i lose a stack against KK - Another, calling a raise in the sb, 6 handed w A10 soooted - flop AxJ - i check raise - i am small re raised - i ask myself - am i folding this ace on this flop? - no is my answer - so i move at that point - opponent shows JJ for a flopped set - which his mini flop re raise was indicative of. Read the damn bets and the other players and not just your own cards! I also find it difficult, if i call with a speculative hand like 67 suited and say flop a 7 - do i let go straight away - too often i don't - sometimes i do sometimes i don't. Either way, even if I'm ahead at that point on the flop, i probably should anyway. Its like flopping a straight draw when there are 2 of a suit out there. What is the point of drawing to a straight when there is a stronger draw to a flush out there. (Unless you are heads up obviously). Of course this "credit giving" will sometimes result in you folding the best hand. I just think its better to raise, define a hand and then fold, perhaps folding the best hand occasionally. Better that than to lose a stack or the tourney.


Good luck you dirty mothers

Dan

No comments: