Friday, November 30, 2007

Poker and play (poker her and play? Thats not what i meant)

So... i am really busy with this new play i am in in north London. I am officially in an off West End production. In case you don't know - West End productions are the big, big shows, musicals, Shakespeare from the RSC with Ian McKellen and Patrick Stewart etc etc. Off West End are good, respected venues where work may have the opportunity to transfer to the west end if they are a success. Finally there is fringe. Fringe theatre is valuable and has been around for years often providing a platform for newer writers, directors and actors to home their craft. This is a step up for me which is great news.

Whilst I only have a small part the play will be reviewed by all the national papers (including the Times), local London rags and such publications as Time Out, The Spectator, Metro and London Lite etc. Tonight was press night and such was very busy. I know that personally, my performance wasn't so hot tonight which was a shame, but the play as a whole ran very well. So given that the reviewers were in the play running well was the main thing although any illusions i was under about stealing the entire show have now been pushed beyond the realms of impossibility.

It is such a weird thing about being an actor. This year i had done three short films and a reading of a film script up until this October. It was such a bad year after having worked for te whole of last year. Then. from nowhere, i have the TV pilot and this play to end the year. These jobs didn't pay loads of money but they have put more credits on the CV and as far as work status goes, they have pushed me into a marginally higher bracket.

As for poker, i have not had the time to play m/any tourneys, only a couple of sng's. Instead i have been playing a few disciplined cash sessions at the nosebleed heights of the 10c/25c tables. I am not actually rolled for this but have had a great few days. I dropped an entire stack with AA (first hand of the session) against a twats 96 off suit but knew i played bad and once i accepted that i just moved on. I also ended that session up half a buy in so had made it all back. Also, with regards to the roll i am just not going to put myself in a stack flip situation. I am pretty sure i am a better reader of the game than i was a year ago and am also playing better hands (no more ace rag out of position....well....maybe sometimes) and i also think i recognise the strength of my hands a bit better. by this i mean i am not going to pay anyone off with just top pair like i might have impatiently done in the past. So this last 3 days have seen me run $70 up to $185 and i have just withdrawn $85 which is great cos i have overspent this week (currently trying to adhere to a budget for the first time in forever. I have just never really had to before. This did not stop me visiting Diesel, Urban Outfitters, Carharrt and Stussy yesterday, i would have bought but just didn't see anything i really liked. Plus the holly jolly Christmas time is just around the corner and there are more important people than myself to spend my NO money on)

Gl everyone

patience and selective aggression are the keys to the game!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very best of luck with the acting work mate!!!!!

Off to hollywood soon eh?

;o)

Rosie said...

well done on the job!

post said...

Ill be hosting my weekly ThePokerGrind.net Bounty Tournament sunday night at 10pm EST , on Full Tilt , password is thepokergrind , its $20+2, i hope to see you there