Saturday, July 07, 2007

"Just when I thought that I was out they pull me back in" Michel Corleone - The Godfather Pt III

It wasn't that long ago that i was thinking of quitting online poker, but as you know i have been running well of late and i have just capped it by winning a $4.40 - 180. Its been on the cards for sometime with several late finishes. As i reported live from the "virtual felt" yesterday i said that my BR was $110, up from $70 on the same day. Having arrived home from an easy days work today i hit 1 for 1 and my "roll" is now $322.

WOOOT!

I was playing good from the start and with tomorrows big tourney in mind I thought, "lets just see how well i can run here and how long i can last".

Some key hands

There was a raise in early position and i put him on a decent hand with no other info to go on. I had AK on the button and was going to reraise but i was reading the blog of Mr Amatay recently and he said, regarding cash play, that he was not getting too excited pre flop. So i just called to see what the flop brought. The flop came a nice AA5 with 2 spades and he bets 50 into me - the minimum bet. I paused and then raised here. First i want to know if he indeed has a weaker ace and second i want more money in this pot and calling 50's isn't gonna do it. He called the raise. The next card was a blank and again the 50 was bet. This time i thought i'll pause and call showing a bit of weakness? The river didn't change much and he bet larger and i raised nicely but not too big, he called with QQ. Lol at giving me no credit! ME!

Then it just went mental and i scooped about a billion smallish pots. I raised on some sooted connectors and won the blinds. How nice it is to have stolen like this and then to pick up a real hand right after. I got QQ, still in late position. Raise standard 3xbb - rarely do i deviate from this actually. A short stack moved in, i called he had some "ace/pants" hand. Nice

I was last to act in a limped pot with KJ and the flop came Jxx. It was checked to me - so i bet. Obviously. First position moved all in. There is no way I am beat here and correctly put him on a worse J. He shows J3. Hilarious. Yum yum more chips.

There were many more smallish pots before...

I am in the bb with A8 diamonds. There is an over raise on the button which i call. The flop is a AJx. I check and he over bets this. This confirms my suspicions. I think he is weak and move in he calls all in with 55. Mmmmm.

A guy at the opposite side of the table has been mixin it up a bit and i call a good sized raise from him on the button with AT. The flop is an almost perfect ATx with 2 spades. He is first to act and moves all in. Its a mad bet and i have 2 pr. Easy call. He has AQ hearts and i win a packet.

We are down to 27 and i have 30k. The average is 10k. Woo! Feelin good and focused.

No real highlights from this period and i had to pass some strong hands and just picked up and dropped small chips. By the time the final table rolled up i was around 4th or so.

9th and 8th busted soonish which is always welcome. Then it went a bit pear shaped for me. I saw 72 about 3 times and 52/53 more times than i can remember.

I raised AK and laid it down to heavy action on a low flop.

Active player raised in early. I reraise strong with AK in mid. One of the blinds flat calls. EEk! The original raiser folds. The flop is low - he leads out betting over half the pot. I have nothing and fold. He told me he had Aces. Woo. Escaped. No king flopping - thankyou!

A similar thing happened later with another player telling me AA after i folded. I was like "yeah yeah ok" But i had nothing, so got away cheap anyway.

I completed the sb with 97 and the flop came X97. I was against the aggressive chip leader in the bb. I checked and he checked. (Doh!). The turn was a T. I checked he bet. Here we go! I moved all in. He thought and called. He has T6. He he. Double up and into second place.

I then picked up some semi good hands and got the blinds and minimal action.

A moster pot occurred with 3 left. I raised the button with 66. The sb, the aggressive player moved all in. I knew this wasn't necessarily strength and i was willing to gamble. He showed A8 off suit. Hmmm. I held. A FOOKIN MAZIN. And i go top for the first time for a while.

Raised the button w JJ and "aggression" called. The flop was a bootiful J10x with 2 diamonds. He check called a decent bet. The turn was a Q. I bet very strong. This was a mistake on my part i think. This Q could have meant i was far ahead or way behind and if i was wrong i was fooked. He paused long and i realise i'm ahead and i'm just saying "call... call". Well... i reckon he lives next door and heard these messages and folded! Poop!

By now 3rd place has less than a third of my chips and i am repeatedly folding to his all ins. I pick up 22. Not the best - but i call and hold against his AQ off suit.

HU.

UNBELIEVABLE!!!! Should have been over on the third hand.

I raise the button with 47 diamonds. He calls. The flop is an angelic 563 rainbow. I'm like "I love you!". He checks - i bet - he moves all in. LOOOOLLLOLOLOLOLO

He shows 75 clubs. All in with a 5 - 7 kicker. I laugh. The turn is a K and the river.......


........


4 - SPLIT POT!!!!!!

MOTHER FUCKER

I say nothing and crack on. I am severely narked though and almost tilt it off when I double him up the next hand by limping with A2. He raises, lol obviously. I move all in. He calls and hits 2 pair with A10. FOOK

I am in a tough spot now and even though i have got 60k left he is reraising my raises and i am passing. I figure that i know what an average hand is so i am pushing anything above this.

I pick up K9 and when he limps i move all in. He calls with Q3 clubs (erm...?) I hold and double up.

Back to roughly equal.

The next hand is sick. For him! LOL. I check with Q4 diamonds. The flop is Q high and he leads out. He could be doing this with any pair. I move all in. He calls and shows Kings. I can't believe it! And can only hope. Hope is rewarded and i river a 2 outer and hit my Queen! Amazing! In my mind that makes up for that crazy split pot earlier.

I now have about 5.5x his chips and the very next hand I limp the button with 99. He moves all in - I call - He has A7 and there is no help for you tonight young man!

I played very well and obviously got lucky at times. My hands held up more often than not but i was never all in until the final table. I obviously got extremely lucky with that Q on the river, but the way I see it, he got extremely lucky to survive earlier against a made straight, never mind one pair, and it should have been over then. Its just nice not to have to crash out and wait for Mr Variance to reward you another day.

Well, good luck my loves. Stay focused and strong. I truly believe this blog is helping my play and just hope it continues.

BR - $322
Sharkscope - Profit - $726
ROI -12%

No comments: