Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Sing "Sometimes it's hard to be....

....a poker player"



My God! I have no idea what the hell is going on. It seems to be a combination of factors but the result is, I have no idea how to play at the moment. I am caning through my bankroll at an alarming rate. My sharkscope is looking like Raymer's after some dude hacked his account and played with his dollars. I looked at my sharkscope this morning to see the words "SuperTilt". As i am playing more multi table sng's this does not worry me too much. Gone are the days of being labelled "Super Hot" as i storm the 6 seater, single table turbos!



ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Just wrote a load of shit and accidentally wiped it. I am steaming so much!!! I need to turn off the pokes or reduce myself to dollar buyins for the night. I am SHIT.

What i wrote and lost was basically saying that; to be frank, my play is embarrassing. I sit here night after night hour after hour laughing at the plays of the "idiots" (reference Nathan Barley) and yet here i sit for the last 3 days, destroying my bankroll as one of the biggest fish out there. There i have said it. I am a fish. Yes, I may have won 3x 180 man tourneys in 7 days earning $630+ profit. But right now that means shit as i swear, these last 3 days anyone could beat me. I don't know what to do.

A lot of people at low limits read a lot about poker, myself included and get carried away blaming a "sick run" or variance. But if we are honest, the reason we are flailing around helplessly at the low limits is due to holes in our game. Variance is something professionals allow for when they play near perfect poker. They expect that despite getting their money in with the best of it, this will not always be enough. Of course these outdraws happen to us too, but i fail to judge them as variance because i can admit that i am not always getting my money in with the best of it, nor am i consistently out playing my opponents. Although God only knows how i can't consistently beat these ass clowns.

Another thought like this is the idea of cash games versus tournament play. Books and articles offer the fact that in a cash game you can rebuy should you go broke. A lot of under rolled, low limit players read this and think that this is the way to go. The thing is, whilst reloading is clearly an option, the books and articles are more reference for a better player. You can reaload if you go broke, but this should be assuming you are out drawn rather than out played or out classed. If any pro was sat at a table where he was losing and felt he had no edge, he would be gone in a flash. If he was out drawn and rebought, then lost again but maintained that he had an edge, he would reload all night. I'm thinking more Negreanu's 6's full versus Gus's quads as oppose to Matusows daily blow ups! There are tonnes of players, myself once included, who are consistently spaffing money away because its so fucking easy to reload. They are not constantly outdrawn, but occasionally. More often than not they reload and remain at a table hoping "this (non existent) sick run" will end. More often than not when their variance kicks in, they will still lose their money rather than win it.

I'm sooo frustrated its unbelievable. Just placed 4th in a sng whilst writing this because i made an "obvious bluff" as a third party fish called it. However i fail to see how he could have called unless he held the pair that he did.

Now where did i put that gun...

3 comments:

Swifty said...

Sometimes the bad beats start the sequence which ends up with making donkey calls.

You play a good game, make all the right moves and then, when you're 95/5 favourite the suck out happens. Then you get disproportionately angry and play a little looser the next game, and so on.

If you start well, however, I'm sure your general play in that session will be better.

It's not variance so much as temperament, something which great players control so very well, good or bad.

Kirby the German Roofer said...

Amatays cousin here. long time reader first time poster here.

Any chance of a link swap, im doing some great traffic.

Amatay said...

This plum aint my cousin lol. Check my blog