Sunday, May 20, 2007

Robin Williams, let him entertain you.

Sup fools? Cheers for reading my blog. Yes you. I know there is one person so this is dedicated to you. As you are anonymous, for the purposes of this dedication i shall call you Juan. So Juan, this blog's for you baby.

this weekend i have watched the following films

Dead Man's Cards - British gangster flick and i would recommend it as a good reason to know where you're going before you visit the north of England. Also, like and "Easter Egg" there is a little game involved, that only a few Internet nerds know about, it is called "One shit voice, one bad actor" basically you have to spot the worst fake accent you can and the worst actor - clue - looks the part but god knows who he paid to get the part.

Deja Vu - Crazy concept thriller starring Denzel "the man" Washington - directed by Tony Scott - enjoyable film- great idea - hated the end - no givaways but seemed like a bit of a cop out to me.

Rent -Yes the film of the musical - erm, i'm an actor - its research! Surprisingly good - saw the musical on Broadway and in the West End and loved it. This changed things but in doing so didn't lose anything. Plus - big bonus here - the beautiful, scantily clad, hot dancing Rosario Dawson. Wow. In one scene in particular, believe me you'll know the one, she is so ho hooo hot. So hot she made me want to.....buy the DVD.

Smokin' Aces - Do you ever watch a film and think it may be good but your mood is such that you don't get into it. That is what happened here. Its premise is ridiculous. A Vegas entertainer has got in with the mob and fucked them off big time. Now they have put a contract on him and want his heart. Meanwhile, as the contract is so high all the assassins and crazies are on their way to find him, so are the Feds and so are some bounty hunters. It was when they all arrived at the hotel at the same time my brain went; this whole film is just an excuse for a director to do some serious gunfighting and assassination attempt set ups under the flimsy guise of a gangster film. My then bowed out and refused to participate, leaving my confused body watching this emotionless tosh.

The Night Listener- This was the all round best film of the bunch by a county mile. A psychological thriller based on a true story which kept me guessing and thinking all the way through. The overall tone of the film created such a discomfort inside me. I am never scared by films but this really kept me on the edge even though it maintains a relatively gently pace. (Incidentally the nearest i have come to been shocked/scared at a film in recent years is watching Wolf Creek. Sick) The great things about this film were the performances of Robin Williams and Toni Collette (Murials Wedding, Little Miss Sunshine, In Her Shoes). Robin Williams was excellent as usual. He is not a "shapeshifter" of the acting world but he always convincing in what he does. Here he plays an aging homosexual who is finding himself increasingly drawn into the tragic world of a young boy, through late night telephone conversations. Toni Collette is amazing as the mother of the child. I'm not giving anything away to my throngs of readers here, but she has some real challenges presented to her with this part and she not only rises to them, but delivers a superb character that ranges from sensitive and alone to desperate and frightening.

As for the poker - I'll be brief - deposited small funds for tourney as mentioned - lost - and lost quickly - then deposited another 20$ over yesterday and have been playing $4.40 180's on poker stars. You'll know me as I'll be the shit one! No, just kidding. I feel a bit better about it. I need to stay patient. I think that's my biggest problem. "Tourneys - Not a sprint" i need that spay painted on my bedroom wall. I have gradually played more patiently this weekend. I read a good article in WPT magazine by Eddie "Nice Guy" Gaines and remembered an old article i had read which was an interview with Joe Hachem. He said that you cant look at a tourney as you beating the whole field. Keep track on how many are in and where you stand in relation to number of players left and number of chips etc. But just play to beat your table. Always a max of 8 other people. If you concentrate on this, before long there will be another 8 players, and so on until you are making some money. We shall see what happens.

Good luck

No comments: