Monday, September 10, 2007

Am i the sort of person that should be playing poker?

Here is the thought. I just wonder if i really have the patience to play this game properly and if i will ever get awa from the level that i am currently playing at. I know that i cam beat certain levels i am just not properly bankrolled for them. I have an ability to gather a huge amount of chips in tournaments but cant hold onto them for the hours that i need to. I seem to know a lot of theory and can often spot good or bad plays and players and yet i am still missing a decent cash.


I think that 2 things may really be holding me back. First is patience, the second is the love of the action. Both quite connected actually. I cannot just sit in a tourney with 1 chip or a million chips and just wait for decent hands. This often leaves me shafted somewhere down the line but i love to play a pot. If i have any sort hand i will often be in the pot, especially if i have the chipolatas. And more commonly if the opponent has a lot of juicy chipolatas that i could win given the correct flop.


I guess this has just come as i busted 12th/11th/15th/ and 3rd in 4 of the last 8 - $4.40 /180's i have entered. Talk about close but no cigar. These things are obviously only played by me as they are in my bankroll range and have a potentially decent 1st/2nd place payout. Any other position especially 10th - 18th is not even worth playing for.


I am not really sure what to do. The bubble usually comes around the second break and with 10k you can make it towards the FT. Perhaps i will try accumuating this (not hard) and then just play top starting hands. That is something i have not tried really. What i have tried is playing looser when i have a stack but to be honest, these bully boy tactics rarely work at this level in my opinion as most of these retards look on any ace or suited cards as goldedn. It doesnt matter if you raise in late or limp reraise UTG, if these clowns like a hand it will be played. I guess i am a bit like that too really. However i believe that i can make better judgements then them as to how strong i hit the flop against a possible range of hands and lay down strong hands if i have to.


Like they say "if you don't lay down the best hand once in a while, you are calling too much"


Just read the last few posts of Rosies blog - Link over there ---------> I'm a fan. Wonder what she looks like........


Who's next to read. I'm off to read more from Brian Townsend and will probably look at Andy Wards next. He is the player that was runner up to Ram in the WSOP and he runs a strategy bloge here http://www.secretsoftheamateurs.blogspot.com/


Enjoy friends, good luck and thanks for coming. Please help yourselves to a biscuit.


5 comments:

Rosie said...

According to some daft link on Cloud's blog I look like a cross between Marianne Faithfull and Dostoevsky. Which is flattering I know you'll agree.

It seems to me you know what the answer is in these SNG's.I too sometimes find myself playing too many hands. I find a good way of combating this is to make myself sit on my hands for a prescribed length of time - 20 mins or until the next break or whatever. And only play absolutely premium hands.

If you want to hook up for a game (and you have msn) I am on rosie DOT toes AT hotmail DOT com. I even have my photo in my profile :o)

Anonymous said...

Hey check.

I would say the only thing I have noticed you do not do, is come back down through the gears and sit back, but that said if you are the type of player who loves action that can be really difficult.

I also think that moving up and down in the gears makes you harder to play against.... just my opinion, as I know you are a very good tourney player, but it may work.

Yorkshire Pudding said...

Rosie, I'm just going to add you for the sake of seeing what you look like! LOL!

Rosie said...

Ahh, yorkie,
You can. But i just realised I'm DOT co DOT uk

Try that

Kenn said...

tip for the 180 sng's once you have a stack sit on it and play your big hands hard, dont throw it away, u need that element of patience in order to push through with your results.